On this episode of the Behind Her Empire podcast, hear from Nisha Dua, co-founder and general partner of BBG Ventures, a NYC-based seed fund investing in consumer tech startups with a focus on women and under-represented founders.
- How My Fab Finance Founder Tonya Rapley Built Her Business ... ›
- How Sabrina Kay Went from Janitor to Multimillionaire CEO - dot.LA ›
Women entrepreneurs, especially those of color, don't have the same buy-in from investors as their male counterparts, but that shouldn't deter them. That's the advice of four women startup founders and investors during a panel on equity at The dot.LA Summit.
"We can't let the data stop us, especially as women," said Morgan DeBaun, founder and CEO of Blavity, who said she hit roadblocks six years ago when trying to get her media company geared toward Black millennials funded.
The panel, "Locked Out in Lockdown," also featuring Bonfire Ventures principal Jennifer Richard, Halogen Ventures General Partner Jesse Draper and Suma Wealth co-founder and CEO Beatriz Acevedo, explored the deep inequities that remain for women.
- Watch: 'Female Founders Stories' with Tea Drops and Skylar ›
- female-founders-stories - dot.LA ›
- Los Angeles' Startup Scene is Still a Male-Dominated Game - dot.LA ›
- Debra Lee's New Project Looks to Help Black Women Founders ... ›
- Suma Wealth Aims to Provide US Latinos Financial Tools - dot.LA ›
From 'the Passenger Seat to the Driver's Seat': Upfront Ventures' Nortman Is Now Co-Managing Partner
Kara Nortman is already widely regarded as one of the top VCs in Los Angeles. Now, she is getting a promotion to make it official.
Upfront Ventures, the Santa Monica firm with more than $2 billion in assets under management that Nortman joined as partner in 2014, announced Monday she will become Co-Managing Partner.
Nortman will share the new title with Yves Sisteron, who founded the firm in 1996, and Mark Suster, who came aboard in 2007. But Nortman is quick to point out she's not replacing anyone.
- Kara Nortman, Partner at Upfront Ventures - dot.LA ›
- Event: How to Invest During the Pandemic - dot.LA ›
- Investing in Uncertain Times: How VCs and COVID-19 - dot.LA ›
- Upfront Summit kicks off in Los Angeles - dot.LA ›
- Kobie Fuller, Partner, Upfront Ventures - dot.LA ›
- upfront-ventures - dot.LA ›