Will Movies Continue to Be Released Simultaneously in Theaters and at Home in 2021? dot.LA Explains:
Streaming services and the pandemic are threatening to permanently change the basic economics and mechanics of the movie industry.
The "theatrical release window" — that period of time in which new movies are available only in theaters — has long been the defining factor for how and when audiences view feature films. For decades, you would have to wait three months after a movie was released in theaters before you could watch it at home.
- What Mulan 2020 May Mean for Disney+ and Movie Distribution ... ›
- Warner Bros.' 2021 Films Will Be Released in Theaters, HBO Max ... ›
TikTok is one of the most popular apps in the world, especially amongst Generation Z users for its dance challenges and with brands seeking to target that coveted segment. But the social media platform ran into trouble this summer when it found itself at the center of an international power struggle that had all the twists and turns of a soap opera. The U.S. and Chinese governments sparred over the app's fate, with American tech giants, including Microsoft, Oracle and even Walmart, all jockeying for the chance to own a piece of it.
So why is the short-form video app facing a potential ban -- and what do you really need to know about it? On this installment from our "dot.LA Explains" series, host Kelly O'Grady runs through the key points in the saga and looks at what may lie ahead for TikTok.
- TikTok Employee Patrick Ryan Sues Trump for Defamation - dot.LA ›
- TikTok a 'Direct Threat' to US Security, Justice Dept. Says - dot.LA ›
- Could the U.S. Ban Chinese-Owned TikTok? - dot.LA ›
- Could U.S. Ban Chinese-Owned TikTok? - dot.LA ›
Quibi was one of the buzziest startups of 2020. It raised $1.75 billion and had lined up A-list actors and producers for its content. The short-form streamer was the brainchild of storied executives Jeff Katzenberg and Meg Whitman. So why did it fail so quickly? On this installment from our new "dot.LA Explains" series, host Kelly O'Grady goes through five reasons experts say Quibi failed.
- Quibi Will Shut Down After Failing to Find a Buyer - dot.LA ›
- This Week's Top 5 Tech Stories - dot.LA ›
- Roku Reportedly in Talks to Buy Quibi's Library - dot.LA ›
- 11 reasons why Quibi crashed and burned in less than a year - The ... ›
- A look at why Quibi failed so soon after launching ›
- Why Quibi failed — Quartz ›
- Quibi: The Fatal Miscalculation That Doomed Katzenberg And ... ›
- Kelly O'Grady (@kfogrady) • Instagram photos and videos ›
- This Week in Tech - Wikipedia ›