On this week's episode of Office Hours, you'll hear from Steven Galanis, founder and CEO of Cameo, which offers a marketplace of celebrities that will record a custom-crafted message for a fee.
- Watch: Our Virtual Fireside Chat with Cameo Founder and CEO ... ›
- Office Hours Podcast: Bill Gurley On Startups, Venture Capital and ... ›
- Cameo's CEO On How He Plans to Disrupt Hollywood - dot.LA ›
'All Celebrities Are Gig Economy Workers': Cameo's CEO On How He Plans to Disrupt the Entertainment World
"Fight for simplicity" is a guiding principle at Cameo, a marketplace platform that launched in early 2017 out of Chicago but is increasingly rooting itself in Los Angeles. No surprise, then, that the company's premise isn't too complicated. Celebrities with over 20,000 Instagram followers – which occasionally stretches the limit of what one might consider a "celebrity" – can set up a Cameo account and list a price at which they will record a short, personalized video for customers. Caitlyn Jenner currently charges $2,500. Former NFL MVP Brett Favre asks for $300. Someone who goes by MeesterMario requests a humble $5. Whatever the number, Cameo keeps 25% of the transaction and the talent does what it wishes with the remainder.
Cameo CEO Steven Galanis
- Join Us for a Virtual Fireside Chat with Cameo Founder and CEO Steven Galanis ›
- Cameo CEO Steven Galanis on How He Built His Business - dot.LA ›