Even Disney CEO Bob Chapek is surprised by the success of Disney Plus.
"What we didn't realize was the non-family appeal that a service like Disney Plus would have," Chapek said Monday, speaking at a Morgan Stanley tech conference. "Over 50% of our global [subscribers] don't have kids, and that is the big difference."
- What Mulan 2020 May Mean for Disney+ and Movie Distribution ... ›
- Netflix, Hulu and Disney Don't Want You Watching TV Alone - dot.LA ›
- Disney Earnings: Disney Plus Blows Past Expectations - dot.LA ›
- Disney Plus Surpasses 60 Million Subscribers - dot.LA ›
Disney's streaming platforms continue to outperform analysts' expectations.
The company reported it had nearly 95 million Disney Plus subscribers as of the start of January, about 5 million more than analysts expected going into Disney's quarterly earnings call Thursday.
One brisk Friday evening in January at around 9:30 p.m., 15-year-old Ella rushed down the stairs of her home in Stevenson Ranch, California with an announcement for her parents, who were watching "Lupin," a new Netflix series, in the living room.
"Can you get off of Netflix in 15 minutes?" she asked. "I'm having a watch party at 10. Thanks."
Every few weeks, Ella and her four best friends assembled at their laptops, snacks and drinks in hand, to watch something on the popular streaming service with Teleparty, a browser extension that lets users view the same Netflix movie or show at the same time. On tap for tonight? Two episodes of "Gilmore Girls," a show Ella and her "best friend crew" had never seen. Although Ella, whose parents asked us to withhold her full name because she is a minor, couldn't be in the same room with her girlfriends, this solution proved the next best thing — and for the girls that night, it was.
- Scener – Watch Netflix and more with friends ›
- Sling Watch Party | Streaming TV to Watch Together ›
- Hulu Watch Party ›
- What is the GroupWatch feature? | Disney+ ›
- Prime Video Watch Party: Stream TV & Movies With Friends ›
- 8 best ways to watch movies together on Netflix, Disney, Hulu and ... ›
- Netflix Party ›