

Get in the KNOW
on LA Startups & Tech
X
Shutterstock
'There Are Two Companies, Really': Silence on Abortion Adds to Activision's Workplace Woes
Samson Amore
Samson Amore is a reporter for dot.LA. He holds a degree in journalism from Emerson College. Send tips or pitches to samsonamore@dot.la and find him on Twitter @Samsonamore.
Employees at Activision Blizzard are growing increasingly frustrated with the game publisher’s refusal to issue any guidance about how the potential repeal of federal abortion protections could impact workers in its offices across the nation.
Several current Activision Blizzard employees told dot.LA the Santa Monica-based company has refused to communicate with staff about the issue. The employees asked to remain anonymous for fear of losing their jobs.
Activision’s alleged failure to protect female employees from being sexually harassed or discriminated against at work has led to a bevy of lawsuits from government watchdogs, current and former workers and the family of one former employee who died by suicide on a company outing five years ago. This is all being sorted out as the “Overwatch” publisher struggles to complete a $69 billion merger with Microsoft.
An Activision spokesperson shared the following statement with dot.LA Thursday: "We are committed to an inclusive environment that is supportive of all of our employees. As a company, providing fair and equitable health care is a top priority, and we will closely monitor developments in the coming weeks and months."
In a May 5 Slack message shared with dot.LA by an Activision employee, Blizzard President Mike Ybarra did address some of his team’s concerns. “I realize we are late and I am sorry,” Ybarra wrote. “It has been incredibly stressful for Blizzard (and me personally) as we read the news.”
Ybarra added in his message that leadership at Blizzard met and discussed the leaked SCOTUS draft early last week and “outlined some actions and we are working with ABK to express our views and requested a path forward.”
“These are real time conversations and we're part of a 10,000+ person company and I want to help the broader employees we value and have across organizations. I realize this isn't very helpful but I'm being honest with where we are and what we are discussing across the company,” Ybarra’s message concluded.
Employees who received Ybarra’s message said they felt it was an underwhelming response given that Activision operates offices in several states where abortion is already under attack at the state level, including Arkansas and Texas – where it has a sizable presence of support staff, designers, engineers and producers. One worker said the response from Ybarra only came after employees began asking directly about the issue at work.
“There’s been no communication from the top down,” said Emily Knief, a senior motion graphics designer who’s worked for Activision Blizzard for over 15 years. Knief added there’s been “lots of support from within,” but nothing from executives yet.
“It's completely irresponsible that they continue to remain silent, as the very lives of their employees hang in the balance,” Knief said.
Knief told dot.LA she’s seen a shift in messaging in her cumulative decade-plus at Activision Blizzard. She said in the past “we used to get communication internally, sometimes within hours” related to similar issues.
ABetterABK, the workers group that’s advocating for change and a company-wide union at Activision, issued a statement Wednesday: “We believe there's never been a more urgent time to support those who rely on that care, not just with words, but actions, and that starts with us standing firm on our positions towards these issues,” the group tweeted.
Kate Anderson, a quality assurance tester for Activision working in Minnesota, told dot.LA employees are upset at a lack of communication.
Anderson, who uses gender neutral pronouns, said they’d feel supported if Activision offered to match donations to pro-abortion organizations that employees support, as it’s done with past issues. They also noted Activision could offer to cover the costs for going out of state for reproductive care, which Microsoft, Amazon and some smaller gaming firms have already promised.
Earlier this week, game producer Javiera Cordero began keeping a public running thread of studios that have publicly taken a stance on abortion, and the list so far is mostly indie developers – though Bungie, the gaming firm Sony bought for $3.6 billion earlier this year, issued its own statement in support of workers last week.
Two workers who requested to remain anonymous for fear of retaliation told dot.LA they speculated Activision’s silence could be a reflection of its conservative leadership.
Last year CEO Bobby Kotick donated at least half a million dollars to Republican super PACs through a secret side company called Norgate, including contributions to a political action committee run by Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, who has said a nationwide ban on abortion "is possible."
In a statement emailed to dot.LA May 13, a spokesman for Kotick disagreed with that assessment.
"The idea that Norgate is 'secret' is preposterous and false. It is a legitimate limited liability corporation lawfully incorporated in the state of Delaware whose records are public," the spokesman said. "Mr. Kotick has donated roughly the same amount to of money to Democrats and Republicans, generally to candidates who share his passion for supporting the country’s military veterans and their families."
In a report last December, Activision said 26% of its executives are women. Still, it admitted that last year it lost nearly as many women as it hired because of retirement or resignation.
“The reality is that the C-suite is far divorced from the general ethos of the company at large,” Knief said. “There are two companies, really: The C-suite, with what's allowed to be publicly stated, and everyone else, the people that make and support the games... and they are often at complete opposite ends of the spectrum on issues and how we should proceed.”
Update, May 18: This story has been updated to reflect additional comment from Activision CEO Bobby Kotick. It has also been updated to more accurately reflect the company's “alleged failures to protect female employees from being sexually harassed or discriminated against at work.”
From Your Site Articles
- SEC Investigates Activision Blizzard - dot.LA ›
- The Lawsuits Keep Coming for Activision Blizzard - dot.LA ›
- Activision Asks Court to Dismiss Calif Discrimination Suit - dot.LA ›
- California Must Address Tech's Abortion Privacy Problem - dot.LA ›
- California Must Address Tech's Abortion Privacy Problem - dot.LA ›
- California Debates Data Privacy as SCOTUS Allows Abortion Bans - dot.LA ›
Related Articles Around the Web
Samson Amore
Samson Amore is a reporter for dot.LA. He holds a degree in journalism from Emerson College. Send tips or pitches to samsonamore@dot.la and find him on Twitter @Samsonamore.
https://twitter.com/samsonamore
samsonamore@dot.la
Canoo to Go Public After Shareholders Approve Merger
04:27 PM | December 21, 2020
Los Angeles electric vehicle company Canoo Holdings Ltd. will go public on Tuesday after shareholders approved a deal with Hennessy Capital Acquisition.
Under its agreement with the special purpose acquisition company, the EV startup, with $2.4 billion valuation, will begin trading on the Nasdaq Global Select Market under the ticker symbols "GOEV," Canoo said in a statement.
Shares of the Hennessy were trading up more than 1% Monday after hours, ahead of Canoo's market debut.
"Our commitment to sustainable technologies and infrastructure is resolute, and Canoo is a fitting long-term partner as we usher in a new era for urban mobility with innovative and affordable EVs," said CEO of the SPAC, Daniel J. Hennessy, in a statement announcing the vote on Monday.
Canoo hasn't yet rolled out its commercial vehicle to wait-listed customers, but last week it became a new player in the commercial delivery market by unveiling a delivery van slated to reach the market in 2023.
The company was founded in 2017 by two former BMW executives who closed a deal with Hyundai Motor Group earlier this year to build its futuristic modular minivan that consumers can rent through a subscription service.
From Your Site Articles
- Triller Eyes at Least Three SPACs to Take It Public, Considers ... ›
- Why SPACs Are Today's Best Option for an IPO - dot.LA ›
- Karma Automotive Details Plans to Go Public - dot.LA ›
- Canoo Is Set to Go Public - dot.LA ›
- Canoo's Wall Street Debut Was Worse Than Expected - dot.LA ›
- Canoo Will Build Its Electric Vehicles At Two New Plants In 2022 - dot.LA ›
- Canoo Leaves Los Angeles for Arkansas, Oklahoma - dot.LA ›
Related Articles Around the Web
Read moreShow less
Francesca Billington
Francesca Billington is a freelance reporter. Prior to that, she was a general assignment reporter for dot.LA and has also reported for KCRW, the Santa Monica Daily Press and local publications in New Jersey. She graduated from Princeton in 2019 with a degree in anthropology.
https://twitter.com/frosebillington
francesca@dot.la
LA Tech Updates: Peacock Hits 10 Million Users; TikTok's $2 Billion Creator Fund Goes After Instagram, Youtube
02:08 PM | July 30, 2020
Here are the latest updates on news affecting Los Angeles' startup and tech communities. Sign up for our newsletter and follow dot.LA on Twitter for more.
Today:
- Peacock Hits 10 Million Users
- TikTok Promises $2 Billion for Creators Over 3 Years as Rivalry with Facebook Heats Up
Peacock hits 10 million users
NBCUniversal's new streaming service Peacock has hit 10 million users three months after its debut. The figure represents both new members who joined since July 15 when it launched for the general public and users who signed up in April when the platform opened exclusively to Comcast play TV customers.
NBCUniversal is the latest to join the so-called streaming wars. Unlike some competitors, Peacock offers a free tier subscription for members to watch most content with ads. Last week, it rolled out a "Roll to Tokyo" channel dedicated to the 2021 Summer Olympics as one way to attract subscribers.
Comcast Corp. reported the figures on Thursday during their second quarter earnings and it was a bright spot for the company.
"Across the board, we're better than expectations," NBCUniversal CEO Jeff Shell told investors during their call. "We didn't expect this many sign-ups, we didn't expect people to come back as frequently as they're coming back and we didn't expect people to watch as long as they're watching once they come back."
Executives have said their goal is to gain 30 million to 35 million users and $2.5 billion in revenue by 2024.
TikTok Promises $2 Billion for Creators Over 3 Years as Rivalry with Facebook Heats Up
TikTok announced it'll pay creators almost $2 billion over the next three years to support their careers online, a move that marks territory as rival Instagram's prepares to join the space with its service Reels.
The Culver City-based company launched the TikTok Creator Fund last week to "encourage those who dream of using their voices and creativity to spark inspiration careers," TikTok General Manager Vanessa Pappas wrote in a blog post.
The fund, which was originally set at $200 million before Thursday's update, will start accepting applications from U.S. creators in August.
It's a signal that CEO Kevin Mayer has ratcheted up their efforts to take on competitors like YouTube and Instagram. On Wednesday he called Reels by Instagram, a Facebook owned company, a "copycat product."
From Your Site Articles
- TikTok CEO Promises More Transparency, Jabs Facebook for ... ›
- TikTok Says it Will Pay Creators— and Universal Music Group - dot.LA ›
- TikTok addresses 'tough but fair questions' about opportunities for ... ›
- Snap Releases Dismal Diversity Report - dot.LA ›
- Microsoft Reportedly Looking to Buy TikTok ›
- Microsoft Reportedly Looking to Buy TikTok - dot.LA ›
- Instagram Launches TikTok Competitor, Reels - dot.LA ›
- TikTok Signs Music Distribution Deal with UnitedMasters - dot.LA ›
- TikTok Creates Incubator for Black Content Creators - dot.LA ›
- Instagram and Facebook Announce Three New Tools For Creators - dot.LA ›
- Who's Paying What for Creator Content - dot.LA ›
- Olympic Level Challenges On TikTok and Instagram - dot.LA ›
- Mobile Is Emerging as a Battlefront Between Streaming Video and Gaming Companies - dot.LA ›
- Peacock Sees Mobile Users Surge During Olympics - dot.LA ›
- TikTok Teams With Giphy To Launch GIF ‘Library’ Tool - dot.LA ›
- Creator Fund Payouts are the Equivalent to Loose Change - dot.LA ›
Related Articles Around the Web
Read moreShow less
Francesca Billington
Francesca Billington is a freelance reporter. Prior to that, she was a general assignment reporter for dot.LA and has also reported for KCRW, the Santa Monica Daily Press and local publications in New Jersey. She graduated from Princeton in 2019 with a degree in anthropology.
https://twitter.com/frosebillington
francesca@dot.la
RELATEDTRENDING
LA TECH JOBS