Get in the KNOW
on LA Startups & TechX
health ade kombucha
On today's episode of the Behind Her Empire podcast, we're talking about the realities of managing both motherhood and career.
The fundamental question many women ask themselves is: can I still be successful professionally and be a mother and build a family? The short answer is yes.
I picked two incredible entrepreneurs to expand on the topic of why balance is BS, especially when it comes to women, motherhood and their careers. Shilpa sums it up when she says, "I don't think you can be all things to all people at all times. And I think anyone who she says is, is going to be sad because they're failing all the time. It's just an unachievable objective." Shilpa praises her long-time nanny as an indispensable piece of Shilpa's success. Trout relates and says motherhood forced her hand. She hired somebody "who takes care of the kids, does the laundry and cooks me dinner every night. That's how I make the CEO thing work."
Today's mini-episode features Shilpa Shah, the founder of the direct-to-consumer luxury fashion brand Cuyana, and Daina Trout, the founder of the popular kombucha brand Health-Ade Kombucha.
Both Shilpa and Daina share advice they would give their younger self or any woman who is thinking about building both their family and empire.
- The Pandemic Has Erased Many Gains for Female Founders in LA ... ›
- VCs Fund More Early Stage Female Founders in LA - dot.LA ›
- Watch: Our Startup Pitch Showcase Featuring Female Founders ... ›
- LA Female Founders See Big Drop in Funding - dot.LA ›
- Fresh n' Lean Founder Laureen Asseo On Starting Her Business ... ›
- Hedley & Bennett CEO Gail Bennett on Starting a Business - dot.LA ›
- RAMONA Wine Founder On Zigzagging Your Way To Success - dot.LA ›
Daina Trout is the CEO and co-founder of Health-Ade Kombucha, one of the most successful kombucha companies on the market. She started Health-Ade in 2012 alongside her husband and best friend.
On this episode of In Her Empire podcast, hear how Daina climbed up the ranks in corporate America, only to discover she felt less fulfilled as time went on. She eventually quit her job and took the risk (with minimal savings) to build a company on her own terms with a focus on developing the best tasting, highest quality kombucha there is.
Fast forward to today, Health-Ade has grown from a small production item that was started in Daina's closet with only $600 to the fastest-growing brand in the category, generating over $150 million in revenue across 30,000 stores.
When she's not giving her heart and soul to Health-Ade and mentoring young entrepreneurs, she's fully dedicated to her two young boys, who she credits with making her an even better CEO.
- Behind Her Empire: How Health-Ade's Founder Grew $600 Into ... ›
- Daina Trout, Health-Ade Kombucha CEO, on How to Pivot - dot.LA ›