The partnership between Caltech and Amazon Web Services has finally come to fruition with the opening of a 21,000-square-foot building that will act as a work area for researchers studying quantum computing. To get a better sense of what kind of research, and promising new tech, will come out of the lab, dot.LA spoke with Fernando Brandão, a professor of theoretical physics who is co-leading the AWS Center for Quantum Computing. Read the full Q&A here.
Here's what else we're reading in the news:
- NASA has delayed the launch of SpaceX's Crew-3 mission to November 3 due to "unfavorable" weather.
- Riot Games is launching a new animated series called "Arcane" on Netflix.
- Edtech has boomed in 2021., Investors poured in $13.8 billion into startups in the first 10 months and minted 14 new unicorns in the sector, according to new PitchBook data.
- Within, a Los Angeles-based virtual reality company, was acquired by Meta soon after the company -- once known as Facebook -- rebranded itself.
- Apple's new iPhone privacy settings cost Snap, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube close to $10 billion in lost revenue in the second half of the year.
"I'm hoping within the next decade or so, we start getting to this stage of quantum computers where they start impacting society in a meaningful way," says Fernando Brandão, a professor of theoretical physics who is co-leading the AWS Center for Quantum Computing.
The nonprofit Closegap is helping educators connect with students better by starting the day with a simple question: How are you feeling now?
Amazon plans to launch the first two prototype satellites for its Project Kuiper satellite broadband constellation by late 2022, using rockets currently being developed by ABL Space Systems.
Did you miss the in-person dot.LA Summit last week? This year's summit featured more than 45 speakers covering cryptocurrency, telehealth, urban mobility and women in tech, among others. Browse through our complete coverage of the summit here:
- What to Expect When Breaking Into Tech Startups
- LA's 'Moonshot' Moment
- Metropolis' Plan for Changing Urban Mobility
- How to Bring More Women into LA's Tech Scene
- How Telehealth Has Changed the Game -- for Most
- Beyond Lip Service on DEI
- Pixar-Level Storytelling on Social Media
- How the Pandemic Transformed Entertainment Tech
- What It Takes to Transition From Founder to CEO
- The Challenge of Finding Male Allies in Tech Circles
- Crypto and Creativity: How Blockchain is Affecting Entertainment
- Dapper's Virtual Influencer Lil' Miquela Will Soon Be Run By Her Community
- LA Investors on Bouncing Back from the Pandemic
- Everlaunch Wins dot.LA's Startup Pitch Competition
- Jam City's Vision for Blockchain Gaming
- What to Expect at This Year's In-Person Summit