The Genius Fund was at full tilt in the spring of 2019, riding the cannabis green rush and executing millions of dollars worth of projects. And it was just getting started.
With plans for a grow operation underway, the company created a research arm to find a new way to produce a high-quality CBD oil and extract for use in the products it was developing, including sparkling water and candles. But, like many of the company's plans, there were bumps along the way.
A Note on Our 'Green Rush' Series<p><em>The story is pieced together from interviews with more than 40 former employees and business associates, active and retired county officials, as well as federal and county law enforcement; state court records, arbitration, arrest and corporate records in the U.S. and Canada; other public records in six California counties; Genius Fund corporate records and emails. Some former employees and business associates spoke to dot.LA on condition that their names not be mentioned out of fear of reprisals.</em></p><p><em>This is the third in dot.LA's "Green Rush" series. Read more:</em><br></p><p><a href="https://dot.la/genius-fund-collapse-2646865907.html" target="_blank">Part 1: Rise and Collapse of LA's Genius Fund </a>| <a href="https://dot.la/genius-fund-cannabis-startup-2646866270" target="_blank">Part 2: Growing Pains in Plumas County</a> | <a href="https://dot.la/green-rush-genius-fund-2646866354.html" target="_self">Part 4: What Went Down in Adelanto</a> | <a href="https://dot.la/dmitry-bosov-genius-fund-2646866356.html" target="_self">Part 5: The Sudden Death of Dmitry Bosov And His Dream of a California Cannabis Empire</a><br></p>
* For the Record<p>After the August 6, 2020 publication of Part 3 in this series, Ari Stiegler's public relations representative told dot.LA that Stiegler "never altered historical financials, but often adjusted future projections in response to different assumptions or scenarios, which is standard in business."</p>
- Tech Companies are Getting Caught in Marijuana Regulation - dot.LA ›
- genius-fund - dot.LA ›
- The Death of Dmitry Bosov and His Dream of a Cannabis Empire - dot.LA ›
- LA Metal Icon Expands His Cannabis and Design Brand into Nevada, Arizona - dot.LA ›
- Eaze Adds LA-Based Cannabis Startups to Its Equity Program - dot.LA ›