Will the U.S. Securities Exchange Commission impose restraints on cryptocurrency trading? The question looms over the wide range of decentralized digital currencies like ehterium or bitcoin, but Democrats in Washington, D.C. — and Sacramento — will also wrestle with other significant tech policy questions in 2022. Here's a preview of the tech policy story lines to watch in 2022. Read more >>
Here's what else we're reading in the news:
- MedTech Color is seeking applicants for its annual pitch competition by January 14.
- Ubiquitous, an L.A.-based influencer marketing tech platform for TikTok, has launched after raising $5 million in seed funding.
- The WarnerMedia-Discover merger has been approved by European regulators.
- T-Mobile, TikTok, Twitter, Meta and Amazon have cancelled plans to attend CES 2022 in Las Vegas over COVID-19 concerns.
- The NHTSA is investigating a Tesla feature that allows drivers to play video games on its front center touchscreen.
- Amazon is limiting customers to buy up to 10 at-home COVID-19 test kits.
Privacy Law at the Federal Level?
The California Consumer Privacy Act is viewed as one of the most important pieces of tech-related legislation in the United States. But more interesting is how other states aim to copy California’s law which might hint at some federal statutes in the distant future. And some states, like Nevada, have brought on similar legislation.
Big Stories that Shook the Tech World in 2021
Through the pandemic, tech’s boom time largely carried on as startups notched new fundraising records, thanks in no small part to blockchain hype, NFTs and web3. Yet the exuberance was measured by weak IPOs, political pressure, and roaring demands from workers at Activision Blizzard, Netflix and Amazon. These and other key stories defined a whirlwind year for big tech and startups alike.
Space Tech Trends to Watch in 2022
2021 may be remembered as the year wealthy travelers went to space in droves. And as people continue to venture further into space, it will continue to shift the way the aerospace industry approaches working, playing, and maybe, eventually living among the cosmos. Here’re a few trends to keep an eye on as the space industry accelerates next year.