Long Beach-based rocket maker and SpaceX competitor Rocket Lab agreed to pay $80 million to acquire SolAero, a New Mexico-based company that makes solar cells and panels to power devices in outer space. The transaction is expected to close by the first quarter of 2022. Read more >>
- Disney warns users that its networks, including ESPN, could be pulled from YouTube TV’s streaming service by Friday.
- Charter is giving one year of free access to Peacock Premium to Spectrum TV subscribers.
- Snap Inc. has launched a new accelerator program to focus on small, minority-owned content companies.
- TalkShopLive, an L.A.-based streaming ecommerce company, is teaming up with Walmart to sell products on its platform.
- California regulators are considering imposing higher utility fees for those who install solar panels.
SolAero's technologies have been in high demand ever since it gained recognition for making the solar panels that powered NASA's Mars lander Insight and the Ingenuity craft. With this purchase, Rocket Lab is ensuring it will have access to durable power cells capable of standing up to the rigors of space travel — ahead of its competitors.
Sensible Weather wants to offer a new kind of travel insurance for climate change — especially when it ruins travel plans. This week the Santa Monica-based startup raised $4 million to collect and analyze climate data for ambitions that go far beyond travel insurance.
Investor and dot.LA co-founder Spencer Rascoff returns with another round of advice for startups looking to raise money. Advancing from his earlier Office Hours column focused on fundraising for a seed round, Rascoff offers advice, this time, for those looking to keep the cashflow going.