COVID-19 vaccines for children ages 5-11 are now rolling out and Los Angeles County is laying out its plan to inoculate the county's children ahead of the holiday season. Unlike previous efforts to inoculate adults from COVID at pop-up clinics like the massive Dodger Stadium one, the county expects the bulk of vaccinations to be handed out at local pharmacies, doctor's offices, community clinics and schools. Read more...
Here's what else we're reading in the news:
- Roughly one year after Quibi shut down, executives are now working for companies like Roku, Freeform, CBS News, and Universal.
- TikTok is giving developers more tools to build apps for the web, desktop and consoles in a move to expand beyond mobile.
- Climate-related tech startups raised $12.9 billion in venture capital in Q3, an increase of 49% over Q2 and up 38% compared to last year.
- Facebook's woes continue, now with the FTC looking into whether the social media giant violated a 2019 agreement over privacy concerns.
- Netflix took efforts to hide the film "Cuties" from "coming soon" and "popular searches" categories as well as from queries for the keyword "cute" to minimize blowback last year.
- Cinedigm, an L.A.-based niche streaming company, has acquired more than 990 films, 31 new series and eight specials.
- Uber says it will provide its drivers with up to 50,000 Tesla electric vehicles for rent by 2023.
Vaccines Headed to LA County Schools
Los Angeles County has already provided 800 schoolswith on-site vaccination clinics, and plans on sending out mobile clinics in areas like San Fernando Valley and South L.A. where health care facilities and pharmacies are sparse. L.A. County Public Health director Barbara Ferrer said the county has pre-ordered 96,000 of the Pfizer vaccines for children expected to arrive by early November.
Former TikTok Lead Creates an Audio-Driven Dating App
Heart to Heart is an upcoming dating app created by the former product and operations lead for TikTok, Joshua Ogundu. He came up with the idea for the audio app early this year after listening into Clubhouse app's "shoot your shot" rooms where individuals would have a speed dating like experience.
Daring Foods Gets $65 Million From Steve Aoki, Naomi Osaka and More
Backed by pop star Drake, Daring Foods raised $65 million in new funding from DJ Steve Aoki, tennis star Naomi Osaka and others, the faux-chicken company told dot.LA on Tuesday. The raise marks Daring Foods' third cash injection this year, with more than $120 million secured to date.
Sandra Campos on Her Rise and the Future of Fashion Tech
DKNY. Polo Jeans. Sandra Campos has been a rising star in the fashion industry. Today, she is the CEO of the retail tech startup Project Verte and the founder of Fashion Launchpad, an online education platform. On this episode of the Behind Her Empire podcast, Campos comes to talk about her upbringing, experimenting in fashion and how intuition led to her entrepreneurial success.