In the fall of 2016, Angela Bolger ordered a replacement battery for her HP laptop for $12.30 through Amazon Prime. Once it arrived at her San Diego home, she popped it in and then noticed a weird sound.
She flipped the laptop to her ear, then back over to her lap, and then "it suddenly exploded like a bomb, flaming melted battery shrapnel went everywhere. My bed was on fire, my floor was on fire, my room was like a warzone."
Bolger used a pillow to try to smother the flames, later realizing she was so severely burned she had to spend weeks in a hospital's burn unit and required extensive skin graft surgery for her arms and legs.
- Amazon May Soon Be Liable In California for Defective Items - dot.LA ›
- California Bill to Make Online Marketplaces Liable for Faulty Products is Shelved - dot.LA ›
- Tech Moves: Brainbase Beefs Up C-Suite, Following $8M Raise - dot.LA ›
- Headspace Adds Former Quickbook Exec as Audience Grows - dot.LA ›