With major venture capital firms like Andreessen Horowitz entering the NFT fray, dot.LA decided to gauge how local VC investors—who are accustomed to navigating burgeoning tech bubbles and researching investments—feel about this latest trend.
Here’s what else we're reading in the news:
- Netflix plans to use its success in Korea as a blueprint for international growth.
- YouTube star Mr. Beast pulls in the highest earnings for any creator on the platform ever with a $54 million haul.
- New York magazine has a deep dive into Tinder founder Sean Rad’s court battle with media mogul Barry Diller.
- A series of train robberies in L.A. are delaying COVID-19 test supplies.
- Netflix will raise its subscription rates in North America.
Are NFTs a Good Investment?
In a dot.LA poll of 32 leading Los Angeles-based venture capitalists, roughly 9% described NFTs as a "good” investment, and just as many indicated the opposite. A majority of respondents, however, said it's still unclear. Here's what they told us.
Wellness Brand Moon Juice Is Raising $7 Million
The Culver City-based wellness brand–known for its juices, skin care products and adaptogenic Sex Dust—is looking to expand into middle America.
This Long Beach Production Studio’s Bet on the Metaverse Just Paid Off
Thunder Studios was acquired this week by Display Social, a social media network that pays creators for their original content. The deal will see Thunder Studios’ 150,000-square-foot facility and virtual production capabilities help Display's creators produce new content for the metaverse.
TikTok Stars Earn More Than Many S&P 500 CEOs
Through sponsored content, brand endorsement deals and other business endeavors, TikToker Charli D’Amelio made more in a year than Exxon Mobil CEO Darren Woods or Starbucks CEO Kevin Johnson.
🎧 Listen: Encantos CEO on Building a Multicultural Teaching and Publishing Platform
Encantos founder Steven Wolfe Pereira joins the Office Hours podcast to discuss the platform he designed to help kids learn 21st century skills through storytelling. Hear the full episode on Stitcher, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, iHeart Radio or wherever you get your podcasts.