The dot.LA Summit is here! For the first time, the summit will be held in-person at the Fairmont Miramar hotel in Santa Monica. The event features 45 speakers covering cryptocurrency, telehealth, urban mobility and women in tech, among others. You can find a full schedule of this year's summit here.
Here's what else we're reading in the news:
- Involve.ai, an L.A.-based AI platform, has named Mary Poppen as its chief strategy and customer officer.
- Genies, the L.A.-based avatar company, says it will commit 80% of its micro-fund toward NFT projects and is tapping Jonathan Weems to lead those endeavors.
- The U.S. economy had a bit of a slow growth in Q3 this year partly due to bottlenecks in the supply chain and the ongoing pandemic.
- The U.S. Justice Department is investigating Visa's relationships with fintech companies like Square, Stripe and Paypal.
- Snap CEO Evan Spiegel says Facebook has a "negative impact on society."
- Facebook rebrands its name to Meta.
The two-day conference will begin with a pitch showcase competition for early-stage startup companies that have raised less than $1 million in funding.
Judges for the event include Boba Guys and Tea People USA co-founder and CEO Andrew Chau, Worklife Venture Capital founder Brianne Kimmel and Plug and Play Ventures Associate Kiswana Browne. The winner will receive a prize package from Fenwick, Coda Search and TriNet.
While new sensor companies have long been working on ways to track the elderly, a fast-growing movement in remote patient monitoring that emerged during the COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated the technology's growth. Now, investments in the space have reached more than $3 billion, according to Pitchbook.
In this episode of the PCH Driven podcast, Spencer Rascoff shares what drives him as the co-founder and former CEO of Zillow, and co-founder of Hotwire, dot.LA, Recon and his VC firm 75 & Sunny. Rascoff talks about the future of real estate, how having a diverse staff can help companies make smarter decisions, how he chooses which startups he invests in and offers advice on recruiting talent and building out teams for startups.