Tami Abdollah is dot.LA's senior technology reporter. She was previously a national security and cybersecurity reporter for The Associated Press in Washington, D.C. She's been a reporter for the AP in Los Angeles, the Los Angeles Times and for L.A.'s NPR affiliate KPCC. Abdollah spent nearly a year in Iraq as a U.S. government contractor. A native Angeleno, she's traveled the world on $5 a day, taught trad climbing safety classes and is an avid mountaineer. Follow her on Twitter.
Asian, Black and LatinX tech professionals are more likely to send money to their families than their white counterparts, according to a study by TeamBlind, an anonymous social network of verified employees. The company looked at tech workers' financial obligations and how they spent.
The survey received 2,586 responses from June 25 through June 30 and asked three key questions: 1) Do you send money to your family; 2) As a percentage, how much of your annual salary do you send to your family?; 3) If you send money to your family, do you still have enough money for yourself?
- Grid110's Miki Reynolds Talks About Diversity in L.A.'s Tech Scene ... ›
- Real Ways to Increase Diversity in the Workplace - dot.LA ›
- How Can L.A. Tech Promote More Diversity in Its Ranks? - dot.LA ›
Hollywood Icon Musso & Frank Grill is Back
Image courtesy Musso & Frank's
Musso & Frank's Grill, an iconic Hollywood restaurant known for its star-studded regulars, hearty comfort food and killer martinis, has officially reopened — after more than three-months of closures due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
This pandemic was the first time the restaurant has closed its doors in more than 100 years since its opening amid the Spanish Flu. Musso's had also kept its doors open through Prohibition, the Great Depression, World War II and the challenges of the 2008 financial crisis and recession.
The restaurant will reopen with modified hours: from Tuesday through Saturday, 5 p.m. to 11 p.m. and Sundays 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. Customers are required to make online reservations.
Musso's team will be wearing face shields and masks and will abide by other sanitary guidelines the restaurant has put in place.
Customers will be seated at every other booth and at tables that are six-feet apart. No groups larger than six will be seated or served. The restaurant also said it had retrofitted its air conditioning filters to include "hospital grade filtration."
The restaurant, which prides itself on tradition and the constancy of its offerings amid historical events, has found itself forced to change somewhat to abide by new health requirements. But Mark Echeverria, the chief financial and operating officer of Musso's and fourth generation of the family-owned restaurant, said the restaurant is doing what it can to keep its traditions intact.
In a letter to customers, Echeverria said the restaurant is "committed to continuing the traditions you have all come to expect from us" and will keep the full menu it offered pre-COVID-19. That menu will now be single-use and customers can take it home.
"We are incredibly excited to see and engage with our friends again and to safely serve them after the challenges we have all faced over the past three months," Echeverria said in a statement. "Our managers have been working incredibly hard during this entire period to develop solid safety protocols which will be implemented on our first day back."
Unlike many restaurants and businesses throughout the country that have had to furlough or layoff their staff, Musso's kept its entire 84 person staff on payroll, without any cuts to salary during the closures.
In April, dot.LA reported the restaurant filed a federal lawsuit against its insurer, alleging breach of contract and bad faith for not covering losses due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Coronavirus Updates: Newsom Talks Businesses Opening; Wave ... ›
- Musso & Frank's Sues Insurance For Not Covering Covid Costs - dot ... ›
- Musso and Frank's Lost Hundreds of Thousands to Keep Staff - dot.LA ›
A company that has its sights set on 3D printing rockets on Mars has gained another literal foothold toward making its launches reality.
Los Angeles-based Relativity Space announced Wednesday an agreement with the U.S. Air Force's 30th Space Wing to develop rocket launch facilities at Vandenberg Air Force Base's Building 330 and an adjacent area, bringing its launch capabilities to both coasts. The military base, which is also used by SpaceX for launches, is located roughly 2 ½ hours north of Los Angeles.
- Long Beach is Becoming Home to the Aerospace Industry Once ... ›
- Relativity Space CEO: 20K Satellites Will Launch in the Next Five ... ›
- Relativity Space CEO Tim Ellis On 3-D Printing Rockets - dot.LA ›
- Relativity Space CEO Tim Ellis Speaks with Spencer Rascoff - dot.LA ›