Updates: Musso & Frank's Reopens, with Changes

Tami Abdollah

Tami Abdollah was dot.LA's senior technology reporter. She was previously a national security and cybersecurity reporter for The Associated Press in Washington, D.C. She's been a reporter for the AP in Los Angeles, the Los Angeles Times and for L.A.'s NPR affiliate KPCC. Abdollah spent nearly a year in Iraq as a U.S. government contractor. A native Angeleno, she's traveled the world on $5 a day, taught trad climbing safety classes and is an avid mountaineer. Follow her on Twitter.

Updates: Musso & Frank's Reopens, with Changes
Image courtesy of Musso & Frank's

Here are the latest updates on news affecting Los Angeles' startup and tech communities. Sign up for our newsletter and follow dot.LA on Twitter for more.


Hollywood Icon Musso & Frank Grill is Back

Image courtesy Musso & Frank's

Musso & Frank's Grill, an iconic Hollywood restaurant known for its star-studded regulars, hearty comfort food and killer martinis, has officially reopened — after more than three-months of closures due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

This pandemic was the first time the restaurant has closed its doors in more than 100 years since its opening amid the Spanish Flu. Musso's had also kept its doors open through Prohibition, the Great Depression, World War II and the challenges of the 2008 financial crisis and recession.


The restaurant will reopen with modified hours: from Tuesday through Saturday, 5 p.m. to 11 p.m. and Sundays 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. Customers are required to make online reservations.

Musso's team will be wearing face shields and masks and will abide by other sanitary guidelines the restaurant has put in place.

Customers will be seated at every other booth and at tables that are six-feet apart. No groups larger than six will be seated or served. The restaurant also said it had retrofitted its air conditioning filters to include "hospital grade filtration."

The restaurant, which prides itself on tradition and the constancy of its offerings amid historical events, has found itself forced to change somewhat to abide by new health requirements. But Mark Echeverria, the chief financial and operating officer of Musso's and fourth generation of the family-owned restaurant, said the restaurant is doing what it can to keep its traditions intact.

In a letter to customers, Echeverria said the restaurant is "committed to continuing the traditions you have all come to expect from us" and will keep the full menu it offered pre-COVID-19. That menu will now be single-use and customers can take it home.

"We are incredibly excited to see and engage with our friends again and to safely serve them after the challenges we have all faced over the past three months," Echeverria said in a statement. "Our managers have been working incredibly hard during this entire period to develop solid safety protocols which will be implemented on our first day back."

Unlike many restaurants and businesses throughout the country that have had to furlough or layoff their staff, Musso's kept its entire 84 person staff on payroll, without any cuts to salary during the closures.

In April, dot.LA reported the restaurant filed a federal lawsuit against its insurer, alleging breach of contract and bad faith for not covering losses due to the COVID-19 pandemic.


tami@dot.la

Subscribe to our newsletter to catch every headline.

Cadence

Here's What Netflix's New 'Culture Memo' Says About How the Company Has Changed

Kristin Snyder

Kristin Snyder is an editorial intern for dot.la. She previously interned with Tiger Oak Media and led the arts section for UCLA's Daily Bruin.

Here's What Netflix's New 'Culture Memo' Says About How the Company Has Changed
Photo by Venti Views on Unsplash

Netflix promised change after its poor first-quarter earnings. One of the first targets: the Netflix Culture document.

The changes, which Variety reported on Thursday, indicate a new focus on fiscal responsibility and concern about censorship. While promises to support honest feedback and open decision-making remain, the memo’s first update in almost five years reveals that the days of lax spending are over. The newly added “artistic expression” section emphasizes Netflix’s refusal to censor its work and implores employees to support the platform’s content.

Read more Show less

‘Raises’: Mahmee Secures $9.2M, Wave Financial Launches $60M Fund

Decerry Donato

Decerry Donato is dot.LA's Editorial Fellow. Prior to that, she was an editorial intern at the company. Decerry received her bachelor's degree in literary journalism from the University of California, Irvine. She continues to write stories to inform the community about issues or events that take place in the L.A. area. On the weekends, she can be found hiking in the Angeles National forest or sifting through racks at your local thrift store.

Raises
Image by Joshua Letona
In this week’s edition of “Raises”: It was another slow week on the deal front, but one maternal health startup, with a mission to fight maternal mortality, landed a deal with growth equity business Goldman Sachs. Meanwhile, a Los Angeles-based investment firm is launching its 8th digital asset fund of $60 million.
Read more Show less
RELATEDEDITOR'S PICKS
LA TECH JOBS
interchangeLA
Trending